LASIK & Cataract Eye Surgeon – Medical Director
Providing All-Laser LASIK and Advanced Cataract Surgery to the San Francisco Bay Area
Jay Bansal, MD, medical director of LaserVue Eye Center is a nationally recognized Refractive Surgery specialist. Dr. Bansal is certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and the Council for Refractive Surgery Quality Assurance. Recognized as a VISX Star Surgeon and one of “America’s Top Ophthalmologists” by Consumers’ Research Council, Dr. Bansal was among the first eye surgeons in California to perform the LASIK procedure. His career is dedicated to the research, teaching, and practice of advanced vision correction techniques. He has performed over 18,000 successful LASIK procedures and is certified as a trainer to other surgeons on both the VISX™ STAR and IntraLase™ Femtosecond laser systems. Dr. Bansal was the first eye surgeon in Northern California to offer the Wavelight Allegretto excimer laser to Bay Area LASIK patients.
As a renowned San Francisco ophthalmologist, Dr. Bansal lectures frequently on vision correction both nationally and internationally.
- University of Nebraska School of Medicine
- President, College of Medicine Student Senate
- Student Regent, University of Nebraska Board of Regents, Chancellor’s Student Leader Scholarship
- Associate Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- VISX University faculty member
- Certified surgeon trainer for Visx Excimer Laser System
- Certified surgeon trainer for Intralase Femtosecond Laser System
- Bansal J, Salz JJ, Tenner A, Rao N, McDonnell PJ. Clinicopathologic study of healing excimer laser radial excisions. Refractive & Corneal Surgery. 1990; 6(3): 188-192.
- Fusaro RM, Bansal J, Records RE. Some unusual periorbital dermatoses. Ann Ophthalmol. 1988; 20: 391-393.
- Smith RE, Beatty RF, Clifford WS, McDonnell PJ, Bansal J. Intraocular lens selection for pseudophakic and aphakic bullous keratopathy. In: Cavanaugh HD, ed. The Cornea: Transactions of the World Congress on the Cornea III. New York, NY: Raven Press; 1988:327-331
- McCluskey D, McDonnell PJ, Bansal J, Clifford W, Smith RE. Influence of intraocular lens type on postoperative complications following penetrating keratoplasty and intraocular lens exchange. In: Cappeli, ed. Transactions of the 5th International Congress of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Florence, Italy; 1989: 179-186.
- Bansal J, Wang Y, Kiang E, Castillo N, Goosey J. Accelerated visual rehabilitation with diathermy after lamellar keratoplasty for keratoconus. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1994;35(4): 1476.
- Bansal J and Slade S. A novel approach to keratophakia for post-radial keratotomy, automated lamellar keratoplasty overcorrection and aphakia. Abstract.
- Bansal J. Ciprofloxacin prophylaxis for LASIK found safe, effective. Ocular Surgery News. April 1, 1999.
- Bansal J and Lane S. Current concepts in refractive surgery: monograph. Ocular Surgery News. August 1, 1999.
- Bansal J. Pearls for the transition to Wavefront ablations. Ocular Surgery News. February 1, 2004.
- Bansal J: “Transitioning from Keratorefractive to Refractive IOL Surgery.” Mastering Refractive IOLs: The Art and Sciene. Chapter 23. D. Chang-editor. SLACK Incorporated.
- Phi Beta Kappa scholar
- VISX Star Surgeon (awarded to top 100 laser eye surgeons by VISX, Inc.)
- Selected as one of “America’s Top Ophthalmologists” by Consumers’ Research Council of America
- LASIK investigator for U.S. FDA clinical studies using the VISX™ STAR Excimer laser system
- Certified surgeon trainer for VISX™ STAR Excimer laser system
- Certified surgeon trainer for IntraLase™ Femtosecond laser system
- Designer of numerous surgical instruments for LASIK
- Bachelor of Science with distinction, University of Nebraska
“Lamellar Keratoplasty for Keratoconus.” 3rd Annual Gifford Memorial Lecture, University of Nebraska Medical Center. March 1994.
“Accelerated Visual Rehabilitation with Diathermy After Lamellar Keratoplasty for Keratoconus.” Oral presentation at The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Meeting. May 1994.
“A Novel Approach to Keratophakia for Post-radial Keratotomy, Automated Lamellar Keratoplasty Overcorrection and Aphakia.” Oral presentation at the International Society of Refractive Keratoplasty. October 1994.
“Leading Your Practice into Laser Vision Correction.” Visx University, Visx Inc., Denver, Colo. August 1–2, 1997.
“Leading Your Practice into Laser Vision Correction.” Visx University at the American Academy of Ophthalmology, Visx, Inc., San Francisco, Calif. October 24–25, 1997.
“Options for the Correction of Myopia.” Bakersfield Ophthalmology Society, Bakersfield, Calif. March 19, 1998.
“Pearls of Laser Vision Correction.” Visx University at the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Visx, Inc., San Diego, Calif. April 17–18, 1998.
“LASIK Pearls.” Ozark Ophthalmology Round-Up, Missouri Ophthalmology Society, Branson, Mo. June 6, 1998.
“Leading Your Practice into Laser Vision Correction.” Community Hospital Ophthalmic Society, Monterey, Calif. July 15, 1998.
“LASIK Pearls.” Houston Ophthalmology Society, Houston, Texas. September 10, 1998.
“Options for the Correction of Myopia.” Grand Rounds – Hermann Eye Center, University of Texas Medical Center. September 10, 1998.
“LASIK Pearls.” Grand Rounds – Department of Ophthalmology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas. September 11, 1998.
“Leading Your Practice into Laser Vision Correction.” Midwest Refractive Group, Hinsdale, Ill. September 18, 1998.
“Advances in Laser Vision Correction.” Alameda County/Contra Costa County Optometric Society, Lafayette, Calif. September 22, 1998.
“Antibiotic Prophylaxis in LASIK.” 7th Annual Symposium on Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Ocular Surgery News, New York, NY. October 1998.
“Pearls of Laser Vision Correction.” Visx University at the American Academy of Ophthalmology, Visx, Inc., New Orleans, La. November 6–7, 1998. • “LASIK Pearls.” Phoenix Eye Society, Phoenix, Ariz. December 10, 1998.
“LASIK Pearls.” Wilmer Eye Institute, John Hopkins University Meeting, Vail, Colo. March 1999.
“Ciprofloxacin Prophylaxis for LASIK Found Safe, Effective.” Ocular Surgery News. April 1, 1999.
“Options for the Correction of Myopia.” Florida Society of Ophthalmology, Miami Beach, Fla. September 26, 1999.
“LASIK Techniques and Other Operational Considerations.” Invited panelist – American Academy of Ophthalmology, 104th Annual Meeting, Orlando, Fla. October 22–23, 1999.
“LASIK Pearls and Advances in Laser Vision Correction.” 8th Annual Gifford Memorial Lecture, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Neb. March 1999.
“LASIK pearls.” 6th Annual Symposium, University of Cincinnati Department of Ophthalmology, Cincinnati, Ohio. June 10, 2000.
“Do You See What I See?” Defense Research Institute Symposium, Las Vegas, Nev. March 2004.
“Pearls for Transitioning to Wavefront Ablations.” American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Annual Meeting, San Diego, Calif. May 2004.
“Refractive Wavefront.” Invited panelist – American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Annual Meeting, San Diego, Calif. May 2004.
“Initial Experience with Allegretto Wave Excimer Laser System.” Wavelight Users Forum, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Annual Meeting, San Diego, Calif. May 2004.
“Experience with High Myopia and High Astigmatism Treatments.” Wavelight Symposium, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Annual Meeting, San Francisco, Calif. March 2006.
“Cornea: Orthokeratology, Tissues, Presbyopia.” Invited Panelist – American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Annual Meeting, San Francisco, Calif. March 2006.
“Iris Registration.” Invited Panelist. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, April 2007.
“Do Refractive Lenses need to be part of my Refractive Armamentarium?” Debate. Aspen Advanced Refractive Surgery Congress, Aspen, CO, July 2007.
“Femtosecond Laser Technology.” United States Air Force Refractive Summit, San Antonio, TX, May 2008.
“iLASIK Technology & Application.” Montreal Eye Clinic 9th Symposium, Montreal, Canada, October 2008.
“iLASIK & Premium IOL’s.” LXII Annual Congress of Japan Clinical Ophthalmology, Tokyo, Japan, October 2008.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- California Medical Association
- Ophthalmic Society of the Redwood Empire
Please call 1.800.LASER.45 (1.800.527.3745) to schedule a free LASIK Vision Correction or cataract consultation.
Try our LASIK self-evaluation to see if LASIK might be a good option for you before visiting one of our 4 locations.
Our ophthalmology facilities are located in San Francisco, San Jose, Walnut Creek, and Santa Rosa at:
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
Mountain View, CA 94040
San Francisco, CA 94109
Walnut Creek, CA 94598
See our testimonials to hear the experiences of some of our happy patients.